Embed from Getty Images
GROUND GUIDE -
LEICESTER CITY STADIUMS
FULL NAME: Leicester City Stadium, Filbert Street,
LOCATION: Leicester, CAPACITY: 22 000, OPENED: 1891, CLOSED: 2002
RECORD ATTANDANCE: 47 298, 1928, FA Cup v. Tottenham Hotspur
PITCH SIZE: 110 x 76 yards,
Leicester City was formed in 1884, the club was then named Leicester Fosse,
as it founders mostly lived in the west end of the city, through which the
Fosse Way ran. In the starting days they played at a ground named The
Racecourse, before sharing Victoria Park with Leicester Tigers, the rugby
club. City played at Victoria Park for two years before moving to the The
Belgrave Road Cycle Track.
Leicester Fosse became a professional club in 1889 and laid out its own
ground at Mill Lane, just north of Filbert Street. The club was soon forced
to move, however, as the local corporation requested the land for
development. Filbert Street were prepared in 1891, while Fosse played at
Aylestone Road Cricket Ground.
The ground initially consisted of natural earth banks and a small main stand
on the west side, until 1921 when a much larger mainstand were build. In
1927 a new stand were build mainly known as the Spion Kop, and became known
as "The Double Decker". The stadium was in this form when the record
attandance of 47 298 were inside for the FA Cup tie v. Tottenham on 18 of
The middle section of the stand suffered a bomb demage in 1940, and was
later further demaged by a serious fire. The stadium was fully rebuild in
1949, and ironically rebuild by German POWs at a nearby camp. The grounds
maximum capacity was now in the area of 42 000. Floodlights were installed
in 1957, first match was a friendly against german side Borussia Dortmund.
After just surviving a council vote to terminate their lease at late 1940,
the club purchased the freehold of the ground in 1962, paying the sum of £
30 500. In 1971 the move towards an all seated stadium was started as the
north and the east side of the stadium were converted to seating. For years
later 20 executive boxes were build at the ground.
A pioneering polythene tent cover was introduced in the same period. The Air
Dome covered an area of 90 000 square feet, weighed 24 cwt and took 45 two
hours to cover the ground. The Air Dome was removed in 1982.
Talk of moving to a new and modern stadium had been there since the early
70's, but it remained just plans going into the 90's. City instead build a
totally new stand, starting in 1992 and finishing the build work in 1993.
The Carling Stand held 9 500 seated spectators and expanded coorperate
facillities, costing £ 6 million.
Following the success under the management of Martin O'Neill in the late
90's, plans became concrete and a move away from Filbert Street became a
reaillity in 2002. The new stadium known as The Walkers Stadium and later
being changed to King Power, was a major lift of quality both for players.
staff, business and fans. but times became difficult regarding City as a
Today not much has happened at the premises of Filbert Street, you will find
the Lineker road who is close to the former ground. The "Filbert Village"
was build, but the rest of the place is not used at all, and just laying
a field of "nothing".
2016, Today as the premises are,
would be nice to do a bit of a facelift around the area, not nice at
2000, The ground as it looked when
City left the stadium. City were in the top flight during this period.
1992, The new Carling stand was build
and made the ground more modern and more capacity.
1948, The stadium as it looked like
in the days just after the World War II. Changes were made.