Brendan Rodgers made a change to the line-up that few would have thought about, as it looked like an ultra defensive approach from the manager, playing without a forward letting both Vardy and Iheanacho sitting on the bench from start.Embed from Getty Images
We all knew what was coming and Leicester City just used the same approach as against Man City and Wesley Fofana got another chance to prove himself in a back line with Jonny Evans and Christian Fuchs and this time the three men back defense was performing perfectly.
Leicester were put under a lot of pressure, but just as the game started, James Maddison tried a shot from distance and it could have been 1-0 after just few seconds. but the shot went wide and Arsenal were the force from that minute until the end of first half.
The Leicester City defense and goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel played their best game of the season, winning most duels and keeping Aubameyang and Lacazette quiet and off distance as they spoiled one chance after the other.Embed from Getty Images
Coming out 2nd half you had a feeling that with Jamie Vardy available it would be difficult for Arsenal to sit back and relax and hope for a goal, they had to risk a lot and we all know what Leicester City can do in counterattack with the passing skills of Youri Tielemans, the pace up front and clinical finishing abilities.
And as taken out of a “book” that combination with an alert Cenghiz Under coming on as well as Jamie Vardy, Youri Tielemans set up “Speedy” with a brilliant pass, and we all could see what this Turkish international is all about, his top level is “the sky” and if he finds that week in and week out, this could be as fun as it was today, his pass to Vardy is just like a dreaming scenario and to watch it was just “fantastic” and “magical”.Embed from Getty Images
The game had few Leicester City chances, but Jamie Vardy could have scored a 2nd later on, but was saved by Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno, it would have been “too much” if that had gone in as well in a brilliant return for Vardy.
After two disastrous performances at home to West Ham and Aston Villa, not getting anything it was great to pick up all three points and still be in the top race just one point behind Everton topping the table.
Again Brendan Rodgers did everything perfect, so hopefully this man will manage to bring out the best in the team also at home, but the counterattacking style suits Leicester City, it really does, so we hopefully will see more of that, what a great day and great to get a win away to Arsenal again, it’s a long time since 1973.
- Jonny Evans, what a brilliant defender, a colossus man today, just fantastic
- Wesley Fofana showing something that smells “World Class”
- Yourie Tielemans, brilliant match, passes from heaven, and tactically great
- Fantastic defensive team performances
- Vardy returning with lightening, Under showing his fantastic ability
- Brendan Rodgers hitting bulls eye with his selection, subs and everything really
- Kasper saving us when needed
- A few yellow’s, but in a day like this, who cares
- Player Ratings: Schmeichel 8, Castagne 6, Fuchs 7, Fofana 8, Evans 9, Mendy 8, Praet 6, Barnes 6, Maddison 6, Tielemans 8, Justin 6 Subs: Under, Vardy, Albrighton
- Leicester City, Man of the Match
- Jonny Evans
Match Stats (H/A):
- Possession: 57 / 53
- Corners: 9 / 3
- Shots on target: 4 / 2
- Fouls: 13 / 9