The first game of pre-season is always one fans are looking forward to. Any answers or just a day for a first opportunity to find out how you stand in front of a new season. Brendan Rodgers fielded a first half 11 without Harry Maguire, which is a clear indication of how this is going forward.
The selection of Soyuncu and Evans as a partnership might be a preferred option in that area next season, but feel that the situation with Harry Maguire should be sought out as fast as possible.
First half was a settled affair for Leicester with a number of chances created and an exciting start for young Leshabela. A number of possible first team players such as Gray, Maddison, Chilwell, Ndidi, Schmeichel, Choudhury and Barnes were all absent, Benkovic and Ward were also missing.
Goalkeeper was Eldin Yakopovic who did nothing wrong and as TCF have said before is a solid option, so this position is well covered. Young prospect Daniel Iversen was on the bench but did never play.
Leicester scored their goal with a nice pass from Marc Albrighton to Ricardo Pereira who found Ayoze Perez with a perfect ball inside the penalty area. A great start for the new man signed from Newcastle. Perez looks promising.
Brendan Rodgers made a number of changes for 2nd half. Chances were created and goals were close especially for Ghezzal and King who both missed from close range.
To get away with a win was great and to see a lot of faces that you would not normally see in the first team were there to do their best. To have so much quality absent makes this a game without any thoughts of what is coming.
Would say that the starting line-up tells us that Harry Maguire might be in “limbo” at the moment, not really giving us anything answers yet, but if you like to think of an indication, the team that played first half looks more like a starting line-up than what we had out there in the 2nd.
A good run out and a clean sheet, 1-0 win, a nice goal. A start to build on for Brendan Rodgers as he prepares for the next pre-season match coming up.
Leicester will play Cheltenham away in their next pre-season match, coming up at the 20th of July. Hopefully the commentary and pictures at the official site will be with the same level, good to listen to Matt Elliott and Gerry Taggart, a perfect partnership.
To sum it all up,
- Perez of with a good start, scoring in his first game
- Jakupovic doing well in goal, keeping a clean sheet
- Winning away in the opening game of pre-season
- A good work out for many players, fielding two sides in each half
- Tielemans and Justin both involved and getting in
- Stats indicates the level of difference between the two teams
- Not easy to judge the Maguire situation, fans would like an answer
- Not able to convert chances in 2nd half, with King and Ghezzal coming close
- Not able to score more on so much possession
- Player Ratings: Jakupovic 7. Pereira 7, Fuchs 6, Evans 7, Soyuncu 6, Mendy 6, Tielemans 6, Albrighton 7, Vardy 6, Perez 7, Leshabela 6, Subs: Justin 6, Morgan 6, Maguire 6, Elder 5, King 6, Ghezzal 6, Iheanacho 4, Knight 6, Amartey 5, Muskwe 5
Match Stats: H/A
- Possession: 35 / 65
- Corners: 2 / 4
- Shots on target: 3 / 5
- Shots wide: 1 / 9
- Fouls: 19 / 9
- Offsides: 0 / 3