Another pre-season friendly under the belt, and it should have been a Leicester City win with many chances spoiled. Jamie Vardy had a few chances to convert in the first half, and later in the second half, Harvey Barnes and Demarai Gray both came all so close without being able to score.
A more of a first team line-up from start with those players in there who also appeared at the end of the season, and to be fair Sheffield Wednesday looked a bit sharper than Birmingham City in the earlier event.
It was only that goal missing and in the first half it looked solid in the back with James Justin, Caglar Soyuncu and Wes Morgan all looking comfortable, with also young promising Luke Thomas also given a start.
Wes Morgan was taken off early on with something that looked like a hamstring problem, and Darnel Johnson came on. Leicester City went off at half time probably unsatisfied with no goals scored.
When the entertainment was at a low, certainly the expert commentator on the day, Gerry Taggart made it all pleasing and giving some a “big laugh” as he talked about his old days as a butterfly swimmer, then switching fast over to what type of sandwich he would eat at half time, fantastic.
Brendan Rodgers made a few changes going into the 2nd half bringing on Sidnei Tavares for Dennis Praet, and giving 45 minutes to Danny Ward and Kelechi Iheanacho as well taking off Kasper Schmeichel and Jamie Vardy.
The two Leicester City goalkeepers had little to do, and the chances that Sheffield Wednesday created either went wide or over the post. So it was a calm day for the two, but again to keep a clean sheet is always positive.
Demarai Gray came on, so did Josh Knight, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Vontae Daley- Campbell, Filip Benkovic and Josh Eppiah. Of course when you do so many changes you just want players to have a go and not really looking much at anything really, and results are not important.
Interesting comments from Matt Elliott after the game having his thoughts about additions to the squad or how Brendan Rodgers can fix his challenges in different positions in the team suggesting a few new players on the way in and at the same time probably seeing some players in other positions than they appear at the moment.
The game was new minutes in the bank as the next game will be at home to Blackburn Rovers at home on the 5th of September.
- Seeing so many players getting vital minutes on the pitch
- Producing some great chances, especially Gray and Barnes had a few
- Caglar Soyuncu looks like a leader at the moment, really impressive
- James Justin playing all 90 minutes
- Two clean sheets so far in the pre-season
- Missing the goal chances, should have killed the game off
- Not able to control the midfield area in the first half as much as you would like to see
- Don’t really fancy a three men back line, it’s not what we hope for going into the season
- Player Ratings: Schmeichel 5, Justin 6, Soyuncu 7, Morgan 6, Tielemans 6, Mendy 6, Praet 4, Albrighton 7, Vardy 6, Thomas 6, Barnes 7, Subs: Dewsbury-Hall, Gray, Johnson, Iheanacho 6, Knight, Daley-Campbell, Ward 6, Tavares 6, Benkovic, Eppiah, Choudhury
Leicester City, Man of the Match
- Caglar Soyuncu