Christmas looked finished with the line-up Brendan Rodgers presented for the game, with nine changes from the game v. Liverpool, only one of them, Jamie Vardy, was an easy explanation, congratulation to Jamie and his family.
But maybe fans and “experts” underestimate the quality of the Leicester City squad. There are a lot of quality and early on Kelechi Iheanacho showed that he has the will to get into those positions that can give the team an edge.
West Ham might have been in a bit of a shock as Brendan Rodgers fielded something no one could or would have predicted, Pellegrini himself made seven changes, so it was a bit of a “scramble” and up in the air on points.
Leicester got their first big chance after 12 minutes when Kelechi Iheanacho forced Fabiansky to foul him and a penalty was rewarded. Surprisingly Demarai Gray went forward to take the penalty and it was a poor shot and saved by Fabianski.
Leicester then just continued to perform really solid with Papa Mendy and Hamza Choudhury in the center of midfield, Marc Albrighton doing his brilliant stuff out wide and Ayoze Perez being in his favorite position showing what a great player he is, played in his best position.
Despite a bit of control you had to wait to the 40th minute before Leicester scored, and all credit to Ayoze Perez who just managed to keep that ball inside the field heading it back to Kelechi Iheanacho who scored comfortably and Leicester were 1-0 up.
A bit sad to see that it was just for a few minutes before West Ham managed to get one back just before the half time whistle blowed.
2nd half was a bit of a long run, but the goal scored by Demarai Gray assisted by Ayoze Perez made the difference between the two clubs, and with a solid performance by the back four that showed so much maturity and calmness that made it steady and controlled.
A positive surprise, and a number of players that showed they are not question marks but can do a difference and contribute. All credit to Brendan Rodgers who had balanced his team perfectly, despite making so many changes.
As we speak, Manuel Pellegrini got the sack after this performance, not easy to swollow a defeat against a Leicester City side that had made so many changes and in real didn’t play their best team tonight, not to take away any credit to the players out there.
- Ayoze Perez shining in his favorite position
- Kelechi Iheanacho and Demarai Gray both scoring
- A great team performance, great to watch
- James Justin and Christian Fuchs playing solid and controlled
- Hamza Choudhury, not sub him anymore, he is brilliant
- Winning away, playing with possession and good balance
- Getting back on winning ways after a difficult period
- Staying 2nd not getting “nervous” after losing against Liverpool and Man City
- Getting that team perfectly balanced, a clever act
- Player Ratings: Schmeichel 7. Justin 7, Fuchs 7, Evans 8, Morgan 7, Mendy 6, Choudhury 8, Perez 8, Gray 7, Iheanacho 7, Albrighton 7, Subs: Maddison, Ndidi, Barnes
- Possession: 43 / 57
- Corners: 5 / 5
- Shots on target: 5 / 6
- Fouls: 14 / 4
- Offsides: 1 / 3