Great to see Brendan Rodgers just following his formula of basics, trying to field your best team to win points, no one will ever fault you for that, and in the way this team is performing with this special line-up, you will be up there among the best.Embed from Getty Images
As Brendan Rodgers said in his post match interview after the game, it was a bit of sloppy start, and almost like taking into action the “corona restriction” with no contact as Southampton had the upper hand and the ball most in those first fifteen minutes or so.
A bit of adjustments and a more aggressive Leicester City side started to get into the action as the midfielders, and especially Youri Tielemans, managed to win more balls and duels and his perfect pass after 37 minutes to James Maddison made it possible for the latter to score a perfect place shot up high behind McCarthy in the Saints.
Leicester did not dominate in the first half against a well organized Southampton side, but we all were just satisfied to see the team competitive and really fighting and especially Jonny Evans and Wesley Fofana had a splendid first half and showing “World Class”.Embed from Getty Images
Fofana was given a yellow after just 15 minutes and early into the 2nd half Brendan Rodgers decided to replace him with Caglar Coyuncu after only 53 minutes, which was a bit odd, but again something to address, and acceptable, but strange to see one of the absolute best performers on the field withdrawn in a clash that was in no way settled.
Southampton never gave up and they just kept on fighting as the game came closer and closer to the end. Leicester also had their chances and Ayoze Perez could have been more unselfish in a situation and passed the ball to Jamie Vardy who also had a number of attempts as well, one of them fantastically saved by McCarthy.Embed from Getty Images
Harvey Barnes became vital again as the game went into the final minutes, when he scored with a perfect placed shot and converted from a new Youri Tielemans assist. Again a solid performance by Leicester City and three new points on board.
- Fielding a well balanced team, and letting the snowball roll
- Fofana and Evans, what a wall, Soyuncu as backup, looks concrete
- Youri Tielemans, what a player, magnificant today
- Brendan Rodgers, just keep this as momentum, and you will be our biggest hero
- Scoring two, and keeping a clean sheet
- Yellow to Fofana, and also one to Albrighton
- Vardy possible injury, hopefully he is ready to go against Chelsea
- Player Ratings: Schmeichel 7, Justin 8, Castagne 6, Evans 8, Fofana 8, Tielemans 9, Maddison 8, Ndidi 8, Vardy 7, Barnes 7, Albrighton 6 Subs: Soyuncu, Perez, Iheanacho
- Leicester City, Man of the Match
- Youri Tielemans
Match Stats (H/A):
- Possession: 47 / 53
- Corners: 2 / 5
- Shots on target: 5 / 3
- Fouls: 10 / 11